- To examine materials behind the locked gates in the Waltham Room, patrons will be asked to complete a registration form (see reverse) and to present valid identification. The ID will be held at the Waltham Room desk or reference desk while the patron is using the materials. Valid forms of ID include a current Minuteman Library Network card, a driver’s license, school ID, or other photo ID.
- Patrons may use books or magazines that are on the open shelves of the Waltham Room any time the library is open, without registering or showing ID. These materials do not circulate and must only be used in the library. When the patron is done using them, books or magazines should be placed at the Waltham Room desk and not reshelved.
- It is strongly suggested that patrons desiring to use materials locked in the Waltham Room make an appointment with the archivist. When the archivist is not in the library, limited access may be provided at the reference desk, at the discretion of the reference librarian present.
USE OF MATERIALS
- Many brittle materials are housed in the Waltham Room. Patrons are expected to use care when handling materials, and are responsible for any damage to them.
- Materials must be used in the Waltham Room and returned to the Waltham Room desk.
- When the archivist is not present, a reference librarian may retrieve materials from the Waltham Room. Patrons must use requested materials at one of the tables next to the reference desk, and return items to the reference desk.
- Materials may not be written on, leaned on, folded, traced from, or handled in any way likely to damage them. Patrons may be required to use reproductions of items when the original is too brittle to be handled.
- Materials should be kept flat on the table. Gloves must be worn when handling photographs.
- Do not reorganize folders or folder contents. Please ask for assistance if you have any questions.
- Only pencils may be used for notes when using materials.
- Use only one box, one folder, or one item at a time.
- No food or drink is allowed in the Waltham Room. If using materials by the reference desk, please refrain from eating or drinking while using materials.
All photocopy requests must go to the archivist, who may provide copies when duplication can be done without injury to the material and does not violate copyright restrictions. The charge for photocopying is 15 cents per page. Patrons may also take photographs of collections materials for study, scholarship, or research purposes only, and as allowed by copyright law. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17 U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. The person making reproductions is liable for any infringement. Please consult the archivist with any questions concerning copyright.