Books and magazines on the open shelves are available anytime, but must not leave the Waltham Room. Access to the archives and special collections is only by appointment with the Archivist.
Food and drinks are not allowed in the Waltham Room.
To get in touch with the Archivist or to set up an appointment, please fill out the contact form or call (781) 314-3431.
Planning a visit? Here's what to expect.
The Waltham Room is located on the first floor of the Library, near the Main Street entrance to the building. Please remember that no food or drinks are allowed in the room.
Before using the archives and/or special collections, you will need to complete an Archives Registration Form and provide an ID. The ID will be held at the Waltham Room desk while you are using the collections. Accepted forms of ID include a valid Minuteman Library Network card, driver’s license, school ID, passport, or other photo ID. You do not need to show ID or register to use materials on the open shelves.
You do not need to wear gloves to use our collections, with the exception of photographs (in which case, gloves will be provided). However, we do ask that you clean your hands prior to touching collection items, as the natural oils on our skin can damage materials over time. Purell wipes will be provided at the Waltham Room desk.
Guides to our collections are available to browse on our website or in the large binder at the Waltham Room desk.
Once you are seated at one of our reading room tables, collection materials will be brought to you one box or book at a time. While you are working with these materials, we ask the following:
- Please keep the table clear of your belongings, with the exception of a laptop, cellphone, and/or notebook or scrap paper.
- Only pencils should be used for taking notes.
- If you have been given a box, use one folder at a time. An out card will be provided to hold the place of the folder in use.
- Do not rearrange the contents of any folder or box.
- Keep materials flat on the table. Book cradles will be provided for any books that need additional support.
- You may use your phone or a camera to take photos of items. If you would like photocopies or scans, please check with the Archivist.
The Archivist is happy to address your questions and concerns, so don’t hesitate to contact her. We look forward to helping you with your research!